On Sunday 8th March, twelve walkers drove to the Blackboys pub and parked nearby. It was a cloudy day as we set off along the edge of the recreation ground to reach the High Street then we followed the path through allotments. We squelched our way across several muddy fields following the Vanguard Way to Tickerage Mill. This mill stands on a site previously occupied by a furnace and forge and was part of the Sussex iron industry. The watermill was first used in 1803 and finally closed down in 1930. We could clearly see the main mill building from our footpath. Some of the outbuildings, including a huge barn had been turned into desirable accommodation.
We made our way along attractive quiet roads like Pump Lane and found a quiet spot for our coffee break. After Pump Wood we made our way towards Framfield, where we passed a farm field with some cute goats and llamas that posed for photograhs.
Finally we reached Kiln Wood which is a Woodland Trust property with open access. This led us to the main road through Blackboys where we had parked. Although the walk was about 5 1/2 miles long, it seemed longer because we had to battle our way through thick oozing mud in places! Some of us were glad we wore wellies! Nevertheless it was very enjoyable and the company entertaining. The walk was led by Margaret.